Moving was a whirlwind and absolutely insane. I would never recommend moving while pregnant! Derek really stepped up to the plate and did most everything. It was a weird time because I was ending my first trimester and starting my second, so when we started moving I was still quesy a lot, then I got better and had a smidgen more energy but then would get up to move around and the round ligament pain or back pain would put me back on the couch.
Yesterday we turned in the keys to the TW townhome, affectionately known as tdubs, and are officially done. Well, minus the unpacking and the new house!
Here's a 'brief' re-cap of our moving into the house weekends:
On the first weekend we scoured the stores for a good deal on washer and dryers and celebrated after closing on the house. Then Derek got quickly to work on the laundry room before the delivery men came to set up the washer and dryer. He had seen my pinterest posts and surprised me with suggesting that we paint the walls with a fun stripe for me! I was so thrilled. We splurged and got some Pantone honeysuckle-squeeee.
My sweetie was up late for two nights marking and taping and painting. Everything looks great and I love it. The funny part is, that there were originally two doors that closed off the laundry room, however, the washer and dryer were so large we had to take the doors off. So, now you can see the laundry room from the living room. Probably not what Derek had planned, but I love it. The doors will go back on eventually with some adjusting so I'm enjoying it while I can! I can't wait to finish up the "room" with a little chandelier and some pictures and etc etc. Definitely a great start.
The next weekend after a few meltdowns (ahh pregnancy) we finally settled on paint colors at the last second and the painters came to get rid of the sellers beige and add our own style. We had them paint all the common areas and we'll go back and do the rooms later once we figure out what we want (trying to avoid more meltdowns).
These guys were so awesome- I'd never seen professional painters before and I loved it. They puttied all the holes, lightly sanded the walls, took off the light switch plates, covered everything then proceeded to pain like champions. They got it all done in under 6 hours and cleaned up. When they put the light switch plates back they even made sure all the screws were aligned up and down- ahh they know how to make this girl happy. I couldn't get into the house while they were painting. We chose no VOC paint but we wanted to be careful. While they were painting, I'll admit I mostly slept, but I also worked on the yard some.
And then moving day came! Yay?! We awoke to Haplo's little goodbye to Tdubs. I couldn't stop laughing- I guess he's definitely ready to go. Derek was not laughing but at least we had already planned on carpet cleaning. (pardon the crass picture but it still makes me laugh and I don't want to forget his goodbye)
All ready to go with our little reindeer friend keeping me company.
Packing up the truck. We got two college students to help us move since we don't have any amazing pieces of furniture yet. They were helpful for their strength but definitely needed direction. We hired them through sweeps and I would definitely recommend trying out the company for your needs.
Unpacking into the new house. Funny story- as little as I was helping that day, I still managed to hurt myself. When we pulled up to our new home, Derek had a question about parking so I jumped up all nimble like onto the step of the big uhaul to talk to him and then sprightly jumped off backwards. or, not so sprightly. I keeled right over and twisted my ankle. Scared the bejeesus out of Derek and the movers just looked down at me like "how did you even do that?" A shining moment for sure.
Our friend Katie came over about lunch time and brought some refreshments and joined us for our first al fresco lunch. It was nice to catch up and relax a bit before getting back to work. She helped us put together some furniture and we got the basics ready so we could live. Ya know, like the tv stand and the bed and the dining room table and we were good to go!
I gave her the tour of the house and got to tell her we were pregnant when I showed her where the nursery was.
The night slowed down and it was finally time to celebrate our first night in our first home! And we did it in style- a little bubbly(sparkling grape juice), take out pizza and a movie. I couldn't have been happier!
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Hi, I just found your blog via Kelly's Korner Friend Day link-up. I live in Cary, NC! :)
ReplyDeleteHi, Leslie from Raleigh! I'm Sherry from Charlotte...although I've lived all over NC and went to college in Raleigh! Congrats on your little addition and on the new house! Moving is such a pain, and I know it wasn't easy while pregnant! Hope the joys of the new house make it all worth it! Hope you had a great Friday! Feel free to stop on by if you want to check out the happenings around Charlotte!
ReplyDelete